Athena Advance Pay Program
Helping to remove barriers to specialized neurology testing
We’re committed to making testing more accessible and affordable for patients. We recognize the unique challenges of patients facing various diseases and conditions and are dedicated to personalizing and simplifying customer service.
As an alternative payment option, we offer the Athena Advance Pay Program for patients who do not qualify for the Athena Alliance Program or do not wish to have insurance billed. The Athena Advance Pay Program provides patients with a discounted price off qualifying genetic testing.
About the program
Important note for international patient orders (outside of the US)
- Patients receive a 20% discount off the price of qualifying ordered genetic tests
- Contact an Athena Advance Pay Billing Representative for questions around qualifying genetic test codes
- Complete payment of the discounted price is due within 30 days of Athena receiving the patient’s sample
- If the discounted pricing payment is not received within the 30-day timeframe, full cost of testing will be billed (unless patient qualifies for the Athena Alliance Program)
- Payment options:
- Check (payable to Athena Diagnostics)
- Credit card (call 1.800.394.4493, option 4)
For patient orders drawn outside of the US, please note that payment must be received directly from the patient to receive the discounted price. If the client is paying on the patient’s behalf, the full price will be billed.
Patients who do not wish to have testing submitted for reimbursement to their health insurance plan:
- Are electing to be treated as a self-pay patient for the testing
- Acknowledge and agree that Athena Diagnostics will not submit a claim to insurance for the ordered testing nor provide information that may be needed by the health insurance plan for a claim
For test codes that have multiple phases (automatic or “reflex” components), there is a chance for the patient to receive a subsequent bill if the test result meets the criteria to reflex/move to the next phase. By electing the Athena Advance Pay Program option, the 20% discount will still apply to the reflex component of the ordered test. Contact an Athena Advance Pay Billing Representative for questions around whether the ordered test code is reflexive.